Why will this weather not get warm!!! Over it. The one thing cold weather is good for is chili. I’m always in search of a good chili but find that usually they’re an unfavorful mix of watery tomato broth and unseasoned ground beef. Ick.
Rusty Bucket, however, has fabulous chili. Although there’s other stuff on their menu I’d love to try, I have a chance to eat it so infrequently that I always have to get a cup of chili and their double-nickel salad when I’m there. Unfortunately, there’s not one where we’re currently living in Ohio, nor was there one in Knoxville, so extensive internet searching led me to this recipe. Although we’ve tweaked it some, it’s getting closer and I’ll post an updates of “permanent” changes we make. If you have any suggestions, let me know!
- 4 pounds chili grind ground beef
- 2 large white onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes – diced in juice
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce we usually start with less as you can always add more to your own bowl to taste
- 3 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste