This was a super easy slowcooker meal, but I didn’t find that it actually had a lot of Cuban flavor for me. It tasted like pot roast! So, Corrie likes pot roast, but I think it’s just okay, so it wasn’t my favorite.
Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers
- 1 – 28-ounce – can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1 /2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours adding the peppers with about an hour left in the cooking process (if you like them with some bite left.). The meat should be tender and pull apart easily when it’s done.
Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.
Recipe found at: Taste & Tell Recipe source: Real Simple December 2009