To go along side our pulled pork that I’ll post shortly, I decided to make some baked beans, and luckily they turned out really delicious. We went through the entire pot quickly, and I am already excited to make these again for a cookout!
Recipe adapted from Food Network’s Dave Lieberman
- 5-6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4- 14.5 oz. cans total of beans; I used 1 kidney, 1 black bean, and 2 cannelini (or use what the original recipe called for: 2 twenty-eight ounce cans red beans, drained and rinsed)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Put an oven-safe heavy-bottomed pot (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring often, until the fat renders and bacon begins to crisp, about 6-8 minutes. I drained the bacon fat at this point, and added the onion to cook until softened, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the ketchup, tomato puree, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans until well coated, cover, and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid and continue baking until sauce thickens and the beans begin to brown, about 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Serve warm or at room temperature.