So my spelling is likely completely and totally off. I grew up eating this, and I love that it’s easy to throw together and can make a ton because its easily adjustable!
- Lebanese Rice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 – 3/4 large onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 small pkg. (10 oz.?) frozen green beans or peas (canned works too)
- 1, 28 oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1, 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- You can also add beef or lamb, cut into cubes if you want to add meat to this dish. Just brown the meat before you add the tomatoes. Or I recently learned my Sitti used to make meatballs of meat and cinnamon with a little pine nut hidden in the middle!
Melt the butter in a medium stockpot and brown the onions over medium heat until the onions begin to brown and turn translucent. Then add the tomatoes, cinnamon, and green beans or peas. Season with salt and pepper, stir, and let simmer on low for 20 minutes. I usually start this before I start my rice and then they’re both done at the same time.
Serve over rice with pita.