As I mentioned in a previous post, a wonderful neighbor from Cleveland sent down some peppers, and I figured I needed to make sausage and peppers right? I will have to ask next time I go home, but I think they were somewhere in the banana/italian pepper variety and had a bit of a kick to them, so I mixed in bell peppers. I don’t care for most sausage, but we used sweet italian sausage, and I enjoyed it blended with the other flavors.
Sausage and Peppers
Recipe adapted from: My Italian Grandmother
- 6 pieces Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- Crushed red pepper flakes, just a dash unless you like it spicy!
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large deep-walled skillet, brown the sausage in extra virgin olive oil. Once browned on all sides, take it out of the pan and set aside.
To the pan add the onion, garlic, basil and crushed red pepper, and saute for a minute until onions begin to soften at which time add the peppers. Continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until the peppers soften. Then add the sausage back to the pan along with the crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through on medium heat.