Ahh…the last of the blurry picture meal. This salad was just too tasty to wait until I make it again and can take a better picture.
*Picture updated 6/3/10
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa
- 2 Tbsp. good olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule (I sliced it but am leaving her instructions to cut into 1-inch cubes as another option – 6 cups)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large tomatoes, diced into 1″ cubes
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced 1″ cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced 1″ cubes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced half-moons
- 20 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. capers, drained (I omitted these.)
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
I drizzled the bread with olive oil and grilled it, but you could also heat the oil (recipe showed 3 tbsp.) in a large saute pan and add the bread to that to brown. Cook over medium-low heat and stir frequently.
Combine the vegetables, bread, and salt and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk all the vinagrette ingredients together. Add the vinagrette to the vegetables and bread, and mix to combine. Let the salad sit for a half hour to allow the flavors to combine.