I would like to know what there is not to love about tzatziki.
- Associated with Mediterranean cuisine – one of my favorites – Check
- Cucumbers – Check
- Dill – Check
- …you see where this is going
Gyros seem to be popular on several different food blogs at the moment so I went to elly says opa! to find inspiration which is where I found this recipe. Again part of the afterthought photo series…
Chicken Gyros (adapted from elly says opa!)
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Tzatziki (I used elly’s recipe which can be found here; the only change I made was I LOVE dill so I threw some in – all I had on hand was dried, but oh my, the thought of it with fresh dill makes me salivate.)
- Red onion
- Tomatoes (bleech, these are for Corrie)
- Pita bread
Combine garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a ziploc bag. Add the chicken breasts and massage to coat the chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate for an hour.
Using whatever cooking method you prefer- we did this on the grill – season with salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breasts and cook through.
Heat or warm up your pitas. I thought we would warm them for just a minute on the grill, but they ended up too crispy, so next time I think I will either warm them in the microwave for a minute or better yet, make my own pita (next goal!) and then it would probably work to grill it for just a couple seconds. Top the pita with chicken, tzatziki, onions, tomatoes or whatever you desire and enjoy!