- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen potato and onion or potato and cheddar pierogies (such as Mrs. T’s)
- Cooking spray
- 3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°.
Spray an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the pierogies in the dish.
Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside. I tend to remove about 1/2 of the bacon grease at this point.
Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/3 cup cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Spread the cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with bacon, green onions, tomato, and pepper.
Recipe found at: Cooking Light